Hello and welcome to the page for Class 5 and 6
The teachers in Year 2 are Miss Liddle (Class 5) Mrs Hickling (Class 6). Our Teaching Assistants Mrs Janisse & Mrs Cutts who support both classes. Mrs Cooke and Mrs Paice also support us.
Here is some key information about Year 2:
- We are located in the mobile classrooms near to the staff car park.
- Our P.E. days are Monday and Wednesday. Please ensure that P.E. kits remain in school and are only taken home for the half-term holidays. Anyone with ears pierced will either need to take their earrings out for the lesson or cover these with plasters/micropore tape, which are provided for by their family.
- Our Guided Reading day is Thursday. Please make sure that your child has their school reading book and wallet in each day, particularly on a Thursday as thin is the day that we give them their new book.
- To support your child with their reading, please read their school book with them at least 4 times per week.
- Please send your child with a water bottle each day which is filled with water and ideally labelled.
During this half-term, the children have been learning about number and place value in maths. We have investigated numbers to 50, learning about the value of the tens and ones digits and learnt how to partition these using part-whole models and place value grids. We are also becoming experts in understanding fact families and the 2, 5 and 10 times tables.
In English, we have read the text Flat Stanley by Jeff Brown and wrote super character descriptions using nouns and adjectives. Next, we read Toys in Space by Mini Grey and created our own setting descriptions of a party inside a spaceship! We have been challenging ourselves to use expanded noun phrases in our writing to make it entertaining for the reader - we can't wait to share our writing with the Year 1 cohort! As always, we continue to refine our reading, writing and spelling skills through daily Phonics sessions and are reminded to use capital letters and full stops in our sentences.
Year 2 have really enjoyed learning about the history of The Victorians and we cannot wait to immerse ourselves in a variety of workshops with The Drama Hut during our Victorian day next Thursday!
Next half-term, we will be developing our addition and subtraction skills using number lines and 100 squares. We will ensure our knowledge of number bonds to 10 and 20 are secure so that we can apply these to larger numbers up to 100. Year 2 will be able to add and subtract two or three numbers, of varying size, together and apply their knowledge to reasoning and problem-solving questions. Our aim is to be mathematicians by Christmas!
If you ever want to find out more about what we are learning across the curriculum, you can view all the details on the curriculum overview documents.
As always, if you have any questions please send us a message via Seesaw or come and see us.
Mrs Hickling and Miss Liddle